These are some are questions I’m interested in researching and learning about regarding genealogy and GIS.
- How do you represent an ancestor?
- Are they a point on the map? Which location — birth? death?
- Are they a line-string between known points?
- How do you represent known gaps?
- What if you only know country-level specificity? (eg. Ireland)
- What if you don’t know where someone was, only their name?
- How do you represent events like migrations?
- A statistical value like x% of people who emigrated left from port Y
- Individual ships/passenger lists